This recipe is perfect for anyone that wants a hearty pasta dish while avoiding heaps of dishes to clean. The frozen spinach, peas, and carrots add a vegetable boost without the extra fuss.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 cup of frozen peas & carrots
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups of water
- 8 ounces of whole wheat penne
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- Cook ground beef and onion in a large pot over medium heat, stirring continuously for about 10 minutes or until no longer pink
- Add spinach, peas & carrots, pasta sauce, garlic, and water to the skillet. Stir. Bring to a boil
- Add penne. Stir until the penne is covered by liquid. Cover with a lid. Turn heat to low and cook for about 18-20 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Stir regularly to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pot 4. Add 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese and stir into the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and ricotta (if using).