Are you craving some hearty tacos with a twist?! This recipe is packed with Asian-inspired flavours and will leave you feeling full and energized. These protein-packed lettuce tacos contain a delicious whole grain called spelt. Spelt is an ancient grain (and relative of wheat) that has a unique nutty flavour and, because of its high water solubility, its nutrients are quickly absorbed into the body. It’s also a good source of iron, fibre, and protein.
- 1 cup spelt, cooked
- 100g mushroom, chopped
- 2 garlic, chopped
- ½ shallot, chopped
- ¼ cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Lettuce leaves, washed
- Soak the spelt in water overnight, then drain. Bring 3 cups of water or stock to a boil in a pot. Add the spelt and cover, reduce heat and simmer until the grains are chewy. Cook for about 40 minutes in a rice cooker or cover the stove (or cook for 65-80 minutes if the grains were not pre-soaked). Drain excess liquid.
- Pan fry your shallots and garlic until golden and add the ground chicken and mushroom. Cook until all the water is absorbed. Chop purple cabbage.
- Add the hoisin sauce and soy sauce to the mixture and combine until golden brown.
- Wash and lay your lettuce leaves and fill each with your spelt and meat mixture and enjoy!